RECIPE: Elizabeth Hewson’s Salami, Fennel and Chilli Pasta
“Finally, after many requests, here is my Salumi Australia salami, fennel, chilli pasta that I cooked the other week for #saturdaynightpasta.” says pasta maestro Elizabeth Hewson (of Saturday Night Pasta) of her latest delectable creation.
2 tbsp EVOO
Pasta of choice
2 tbsp butter
150g Salumi Australia fennel salami, chopped into thick cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 small bulb fennel, finely chopped
2x 400g tin tomatoes (or whole tomatoes)
Salt and pepper to season
½ tsp dried chilli (optional)
Handful of Parmigiano reggiano + extra to serve
1. Place a deep frying pan or saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. When melted add the salami for 5 or so minutes, until crisp.
2. Add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds, and fennel. Continue cooking for 10 minutes, being careful not to let it burn, until the vegetables are soft and sweet. Dump tomatoes and follow with seasoning – salt, pepper and chilli if using.
3. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, allowing the flavours to mingle and come together.
4. Bring a large saucepan of water to a lively boil and season as salty as the sea. Throw in the pasta and cook until al dente.
5. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ a cup of pasta water, and toss the pasta through the sauce. Add the cheese, lemon zest, along with a ¼ cup of the cooking water, and toss vigorously to coat. Add more pasta water if required.
6. Divide the pasta among bowls and serve with (you guessed it) more cheese.