RECIPE: Massimo’s Winter Warmer Cotechino and Lenticchie Recipe
Warm up with Massimo’s Winter Warmer Cotechino and Lenticchie. “Cotechino requires a low slow cooking process the soften the rind or the use of a pressure cooker and is traditionally served on a bed of lentils.” You can grab your own cotechino via our Leichhardt and West End delis.
1 white onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250g dry brown lentils
2 bay leaves, fresh if possible
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 litres vegetable stock
2 Salumi Free Range Cotechino
Salt & Pepper for seasoning
1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
1.Soak dry lentils in cold water overnight.
2.Dice vegetables, garlic and half of the parsley.
3. In a pressure cooker, sauté vegetables on medium heat until translucent.
4. Rinse lentils in cold water and add to the vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, stock, bay leaves and season to taste.
6. Add cotechino whole and cook in a pressure cooker for 45mins (or 1 ½ hrsin a large pot on thestove simmering).
7. I like to remove the casing of the Cotechino after it’s cooked, but can be left on is you wish.
8. Slice Cotechino in 1cm slices and saute in a hot pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
9. Plate Cotechino on the bed of lentils(removing the bay leaves), and sprinkle with fresh parsley.